What is Bagua?
Bagua is based on the theory of the Bagua(Eight Trigrams). Bagua theory was used by the ancient Chinese to analyze directions, locations, causes and effect, and all the natural changes of the universe. Since nature always repeats itself, the Chinese believe that Bagua theory can be used to predict natural disasters, a country's destiny, or even an individual's fortune. The source of Bagua ws Yi Jing(The Book of Changes). Yi Jing has been a major part of the Chinese Culture and philosophy for more than four thousand years, many martial styles were created and developed under its influence such as Taiji, Xingyi, and Bagua.
Bagua emphasizes circular movement, walking is most important. You are always moving. Bagua"uses movement as its foundation, and uses transformation as its principle". The movements are always changing, spinning and turning, while rapidly moving in curvilinear patterns. Its movements are described as, "Walk like a dragon, retrieve and spin like an ape, change momentum like an eagle, and calm and steady like a still tiger".
The constant turning and spinning movements, stimulate the joints and muscles to provide a work out for many areas of the body that are not normally exercised. These movements also stimulate acupuncture cavities by compressing and relaxing the muscles around them, loosening stagnant energy, and allowing Qi to circulate smoothly.
Our school offers a system of Bagua including traditional palm and weapon routines and applications such as Basic Eight Palm, Swimming Body Bagua, Bagua Matching Set for two people, Bagua sword, Bagua Deer Hooks, Bagua Cane, etc.
Why learn Bagua? Who should take this class?
- It is highly advised that students should have some Wushu basic training before taking up Bagua classes. Or they should have learned some routines from Tai Chi or other martial arts that have routines training.
- For people who wish to improve their coordination, agility, flexibility, balance, leg and arm strength, fitness level, body posture, reflexes, stamina, power.
- Bagua concentrates on training the circulation of Qi and building it up to a higher level. It emphasizes a calm and peaceful mind, is very effective for improving health.
- The movements of Bagua are not as soft as Tai Chi, yet they are not as hard as Xing Yi. The constant turning and spinning movements stimulate the joints and muscles to provide a work out for many areas of the body that are not normally exercised. These movements also stimulate acupuncture cavities by compressing and relaxing the muscles around them, loosening stagnant energy, and allowing Qi to circulate smoothly.
- The fighting strategy emphasizes circular movements. Generally, both the stepping and the techniques are circular. Although many techniques such as yielding, neutralizing, sticking, adhering, and coiling are used, they are mainly adopted to coordinate with the round movements. Attack and defense are equally important. Rounded defensive movements are usually used first, followed by rounded attacking movements to uproot the opponent and make him fall.
- Because of its strategy and techniques, Bagua can be effective at all ranges. Round stepping movements are constantly used in coordination with the techniques, but high kicks are seldom used. Instead, the training focuses on low kicks and firm rapid walking.
Bagua Class Structure
- Our school offers a system of Bagua that includes traditional routines and applications as follows:
- Basic Eight Palm (Lao Bagua), Bagua 2nd Form (Bagua Er Lu), Bagua matching set for two people(Bagua Dui Lian), Swimming Body Bagua (You Shen Bagua Zhang), Bagua Deer Hooks (Bagua Yuan Yang Yue), Bagua Cane (Bagua Guai), Bagua Broadsword (Bagua Dao), Bagua Sword (Bagua Jian), etc. For each of the routines, we also teach the applications of the movements.
- Upon arrival at our school, please see or have someone direct you to an instructor for more information.
- For people who have any serious health issues, always consult with an SYL instructor before participating in class.
- Wear comfortable exercise clothes. Jeans and clothing that restrict movement are definitely not recommended. Wear light and comfortable exercise shoes.
- Always follow the directions of the instructors as closely as possible.